Thursday, February 14, 2013

Order of the Oppressed Vlog 1 and 2


Order of the Oppressed Vlog One

"Hey, I'm Lhea J. Love. And, I'm a poet who is attempting to write my very first novel. Okay. So, it all started several years ago, when I found out about a secret society called "Order of the Men of Oppression" who had a lot of things that based off of  the Masons. And, they helped people escape during the Underground Railroad. (Escape towards freedom) This was the very first time in my life that I knew I wanted to write at least one novel. So, I began to ask myself, well, what if this society still existed today, what would it look like?

"I imagine that it is possible that society could take place on a college campus. It could have morphed into a college fraternity and secret society. So I set my novel in 2001 and I have a sububan guy named Onus who knows nothing about being Black and who's learning about himself and his history when he joins this order.

"SO I found the real article around 2006 when I was a senior at the University of Michigan. I believe it was in the Detroit Post. It was in an actual newspaper that was the forerunner to the Detroit News and Freepress..."


"Hi, this is Lhea J. Love. Now, you may be wondering, why am I spending so much time creating vlogs when I need to be writing my novel. The truth is, I have absolutely no idea how to write a novel. So this vlog, and the blog, are to help me figure out how to find the most perfect form for the narrative.

"First, I do want to thank my professor Dr. Tiya Miles whose class I was in when I found the two articles that would be the inspiration for the novl. The first article I found was in the Detroit Tribune and it was called "Freedom's Railway"; the second article I found was in the Detroit Post. And, it was on Sunday May 16, 1870. It was entitled 'Underground Railroad'."

No comments:

Post a Comment